AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 17, 2009 10:37PM
Hello,

I had a question regarding comparing tlrc'ed datasets across subjects. In this case, I have two groups containing 12 subjects each, and have extracted functional time series data for all. The brains were registered to the same atlas (TT_N27), and for each I extracted (adwarped) functional data contained in its own cortical grey matter mask (constructed from Freesurfer data). The masks were also adwarped to tlrc'ed anat.

I was hoping to make direct voxel-to-voxel comparisons across these brains, by compariing the extracted tlrc xyz coordinate values (using option -xyz w/ 3dmaskdump). As you can see from the attached image though, the overlap between voxel coordinates seems to be less than ideal. Very few coordinates are found in all 12 datasets, and the majority of xyz values are unique to one or just a few datasets.

One source of these discrepancies is certainly that each brain has its own GM mask so one would not expect perfectly matching cortical volumes. Also, due to different folding the mapping to tlrc atlas is not perfect.

However, I was thinking that since the functional data and masks were resampled to 6mm voxel res, it may be that the absolute coordinates depend on the centers of the (6mm)^3 voxels, so that if the voxels between brains are shifted in tlrc space relative to each other, this could cause matching voxels to be off by 1-2mm (sub-voxel res), impeding voxel comparisons.

So, my question is simply whether these results seem surprising and whether there is a better way to go about making voxel-wise comparisons across subjects in this way. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

John S.
Subject Author Posted

Voxel-to-voxel comparisons across tlrc'ed data

John Sheppard February 17, 2009 10:37PM

Re: Voxel-to-voxel comparisons across tlrc'ed data

John Sheppard February 17, 2009 10:39PM

John Sheppard February 18, 2009 11:51AM

rick reynolds February 18, 2009 08:15PM