AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 24, 2009 05:57PM
Hi Gang,

My question regarding -tcoef versus -fcoef is in regard to the warnings in the 3dRegAna manual. From my reading, the F statistic associated with -fcoef is the significance of the overall regression, not the significance of the individual parameter. By contrast, the t-statistic associated with -tcoef is the significance of the individual parameter.

In my case I want to find voxels associated with one regressor, so my instinct is to use the -tcoef.

In regard to the idea of testing to see which of the two regressors is a better fit for any one voxel, you mentioned the three possibilities: 1) no trend; 2) linear trend; and 3) quadratic trend.

For those three possibilities, I am imagining a situation where a voxel is a very clear cut linear-trend voxel. In that situation the ttest for the linear regressor would be very significant for the linear regressor (significantly above zero), and not significant for the quadratic regressor. In that situation, it would seem that obvious that possibility #2 is true for that voxel.

Now imagine a situation where a voxel has some type of waveform in between a linear and a quadratic. The ttest for that voxel might be significant for both regressors. Then the question is: Which regressor does it look most like? Does it look significantly more linear than quadratic or more quadratic than linear?

How do I test each voxel to find out which ones have significantly more variance accounted for by the linear regressor than the quadratic regressor and which ones have significantly more variance accounted for by the quadratic regressor than the linear regressor?

I know it is not right to do a ttest on the t-values for each parameter estimate, but in essence, that is what I am after.

Would a ttest on the parameter estimates themselves be correct? In that case, I am worried that the parameter estimates for a linear versus quadratic trend might be affected by the different scales used to code for the linear vs the quadratic waveforms.

Best,

Christine
Subject Author Posted

3dRegAna-comparing linear versus nonlinear vectors

Christine Smith March 23, 2009 06:29PM

Re: 3dRegAna-comparing linear versus nonlinear vectors

Bob Cox March 24, 2009 08:34AM

Gang Chen March 24, 2009 10:08AM

Christine Smith March 24, 2009 01:14PM