AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
cdm
May 20, 2009 11:04AM
rick reynolds wrote:

> This is not quite correct. The t-distribution approaches the
> normal
> distribution as the degrees of freedom approaches infinity
> (subjects
> minus 1 in your case), but you have only 12 subjects. 60000
> voxels is
> multiple comparisons, but of the same non-normal test.
>
> Keep in mind that these results depend on the variance of your
> data,
> which comes not only from BOLD responses to your stimuli, but
> from how
> the experiment was designed and how the data was processed.

Sure. So if I had an infinite number of subjects, I would expect exactly 5% of my voxels to exceed the t (z)=1.96 threshold associated with p = .05. If I have a finite number of subjects, the expected distribution becomes wider; its more likely that I will find a more extreme t-value. So with 12 subjects, I'd expect 5% of my voxels to exceed the t = 2.18 threshold by random chance.

But AFNI accounts for that. 3dTTEST know how many subjects I have, and what my degrees of freedom are, so when it calculates p-values, it doesn't use a z-distribution, it uses a t-distribution with N-1 degrees of freedom. So it will assign a p < .05 to any voxel with a t > 2.18. Under the null hypothesis, exactly 5% of my voxels should exceed this value.

So if only 1.8% of my voxels exceed t = 2.18, something very funny is going on. That would mean that there are fewer voxels in the tails of the distribution than would have been expected given the degrees of freedom and the standard error of each voxel. Correct?
Subject Author Posted

2% of voxels reaching p < .05

cdm May 14, 2009 09:14AM

Re: 2% of voxels reaching p < .05

Gang Chen May 14, 2009 05:44PM

rick reynolds May 14, 2009 06:26PM

cdm May 19, 2009 09:04AM

rick reynolds May 19, 2009 10:12AM