AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 20, 2022 11:41AM
Hello,

I am interested in combining three thresholded language activation maps within a single subject. The three language tasks are similar (block-related designs) and tend to produce some degree of overlapping clusters in the major language regions. My goal is to summarize the language-related activation clusters in a clean and statistically relevant manner.

I am somewhat new to ANFI and recently came across the 3dmerge program with options to perform Fisher transformation on intensity data (-gfisher) or thresholded data (-tgfisher). This seems to accomplish my main goal, but I am concerned about potentially violating certain assumptions associated with the Fisher method, namely the assumption of independence (i.e., each language task is expected to produce relatively similar activation patterns, thus not independent?). I am curious to hear from the experts on this forum about three main things:

1. Does it make sense to be concerned about combining non-independent thresholded correlation maps within a single subject using 3dmerge –tgfisher or -gfisher?
2. Are there other issues with this approach that stand out?
3. Are there other methods of statistically combining thresholded activation maps within a single subject that may be better than the fisher method?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Subject Author Posted

Merging thresholded activation maps in single subject with 3dmerge -gfisher

wmccuddy January 20, 2022 11:41AM

Re: Merging thresholded activation maps in single subject with 3dmerge -gfisher

gang January 30, 2022 08:30PM

wmccuddy March 24, 2022 10:56PM

gang March 30, 2022 09:44AM