AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 11, 2023 04:01AM
Paul,

I think that I maybe solved the problem now. The problem was that I extracted the networks’ coordinates with the 3dmaskdump option
-xyz
enabled.
By "networks coordinates" I mean the coordinates of the 7 AFNI Schaefer-Yeo networks that I initially created, plus a combination of all 7 networks together, where I added the 7 single networks together with 3dcalc because I also wanted to investigate the complete cerebral cortex in addition to the 7 individual networks.

Hence, the voxel coordinates were extracted in the radiological convention.
Conversely, when one extracts AFNI preprocessed time-series data with 3dmaskdump _without_ adding the option "-xyz", the extracted voxel coordinates by 3dmaskdump are in the neurological (ijk) convention, and not in the radiological (xyz) convention, correct?

Hence, there is a mismatch between ijk and xyz, or between the functional data extracted by 3dmaskdump and the network coordinates that I extracted with with using -xyz. Thats why adding y = y-1 and all those fuzzy steps were required in Python.

------------------------

Now, when I no longer applied "xyz" in the 3dmaskdump script where I extracted the voxel coordinates from the single 7 networks plus the combination of all 7 sevenworks (labeled "global"), no mismatch, warning messages in 3dUndump, whatsoever occur anymore. Also, I do not have to mirror the x, y, or z axis coordinates in Python.

Furthermore, checking all kinds of files with
3dinfo \
-same_all_grid \
-prefix \
ACW_Awake_Global.nii \ # the new NIFTI file created by 3dUndump
Global.nii # the combination of the 7 individual networks, where the 7 individual networks were combined using 3dcalc

yields no mismatch. Also, a visual inspection of both files (ACW_Awake_Global.nii vs. Global.nii) in AFNI shows that all voxels are 100% aligned in space, that no voxels diverge between the two nifti files, and that everything seems to be exactly in place.

Even though I sort of created those files using a inconvenient way, because I extracted the voxel coordinates from the network files (such as from "Global.nii"), the error or mistake simply was that I initially added the option "-xyz" precisely in this step. And this messed everything up.

Please let me know what you think, even though I understand this thread is hard to follow now, because it all was a big fuzzy mess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2023 04:02AM by Philipp.
Subject Author Posted

Extracting voxel-wise data with 3dmaskdump and recombing it with 3dUndump Attachments

Philipp April 10, 2023 07:59AM

Re: Extracting voxel-wise data with 3dmaskdump and recombing it with 3dUndump Attachments

Philipp April 10, 2023 08:13AM

Re: Extracting voxel-wise data with 3dmaskdump and recombing it with 3dUndump

ptaylor April 10, 2023 09:23AM

Re: Extracting voxel-wise data with 3dmaskdump and recombing it with 3dUndump Attachments

Philipp April 10, 2023 12:53PM

ptaylor April 10, 2023 03:18PM

Philipp April 10, 2023 03:20PM

Philipp April 10, 2023 03:31PM

ptaylor April 10, 2023 03:38PM

Philipp April 10, 2023 03:47PM