AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 08, 2003 10:56AM
Okay, I tried the latter two methods for turning off hints: setting AFNI_HINTS to NO or KILL, and using Datamode->Misc. Both of these methods succeeded in turning off hints, but the hanging problem did not go away. Instead, it now hangs when there *would* have been a hint if hints were turned on. What this means in practice is that it hangs if you select a popup, don't make a choice, and then release the mouse while it is over the name of the popup. That is fairly easy to live with: you just have to remember to move the mouse away if you change your mind about selecting something from a popup.

It is possible that compiling with -DDONT_USE_HINTS might solve the problem, but I'm not going to try that until I have a independent need to recompile.

However, while trying these things, I did discover something else useful. Bob Cox observes on the cygwin page that "Apparently you can't set a Toggle button on a popup menu in LessTif." This prevented me for a while from using Datamode->Misc to turn off hints. But after playing around for a while, I discovered a way to set toggles in popups. First, click on the menu title. The menu pops up. Then click on the toggle you want to change. Nothing happens (that's the bug). Now drag on the menu title (keep the mouse button held down). The menu pops up. Drag down to the toggle and release the mouse. The toggle state changes. You have to do it twice like this. It's not pretty but it works...

I hope that AFNI keeps stumbling along under cygwin for a couple of years. Next time I buy a laptop it will probably be a Mac, given the success of OS X, but for now some of us need to make do with what we have...

Regards,

Stephen

Subject Author Posted

AFNI on cygwin

Stephen Wilson May 08, 2003 03:16AM

Re: AFNI on cygwin

wu xiang May 08, 2003 04:16AM

Re: AFNI on cygwin

bob cox May 08, 2003 09:22AM

Re: AFNI on cygwin -- workarounds for interface problems

Stephen Wilson May 08, 2003 10:56AM

wu xiang May 11, 2003 08:10AM

bob cox May 12, 2003 09:12AM

AFNI on cygwin -- is this for the latest version?

Shantanu May 20, 2003 11:15AM