AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Don
September 02, 2003 07:56PM
I used both 3dANOVA2 and 3dttest to calculate t-stats for group averages and found that the t-stats were as much as 10x higher for anova2. This is a difference of about 10-3 in p-values.

For 3danova2, I used the mixed effects model with 2 different stimulus conditions as the fixed effect factor A, and 5 subjects as the random effect factor B. I think this is analogous to the exapmle shown on pg. 32 of the anova manual (4 different drugs and 20 different subjects).

For 3dttest, I ran 3dttest for each condition separately.

Looking at the source code for 3dANOVA2, it would seem that the higher stats are the result of dividing the stddev by sqrt(b * n) (number of subjects * number of total observations) instead of just sqrt(b)

First of all, is it valid to use 3dANOVA2 with mixed effects model for analyzing this type of experiment? Second, why should analyzing in this way produce so much more significant t-stats?

Subject Author Posted

3danova2 vs. 3dttest

Don September 02, 2003 07:56PM

Re: 3danova2 vs. 3dttest

yanqiong September 03, 2003 09:55AM

Don September 03, 2003 05:25PM

yanqiong September 04, 2003 12:14PM

Don September 05, 2003 09:02PM