AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 03, 2003 09:55AM
Hi, Don. I had met exact same question before. I have thought about this. I think it is valid to use 3dANOVA2 to analyze this type of experiment.

To answer why this way produce so much more significant t-stats, we need to check the difference of the t-test in 3dttest and t-test in 3dANOVA2. The numerators for these two t-tests are the same, which is the average difference between the 2 stimulus conditions. The denominators for these two t-tests are different. 3dttest uses the sum of within group sample variance as the estimate of sigma^2. 3dANOVA2 uses the MSE as the estimate of sigma^2, and MSE has taken account of the effect of subjects. If the subjects have so much difference from each other, then MSE will be much smaller than the estimate of sigma^2 in 3dttest. That will make the t-stats in 3dANOVA2 much larger than t-stat in 3dttest.

The document for 3dANOVA2 dividing estimate of sigma by sqrt(b*n), not sqrt(b), because in that notes, n is the replication of each subject for each condition. For your case, n=1. Hope this will not confuse you.

Subject Author Posted

3danova2 vs. 3dttest

Don September 02, 2003 07:56PM

Re: 3danova2 vs. 3dttest

yanqiong September 03, 2003 09:55AM

Don September 03, 2003 05:25PM

yanqiong September 04, 2003 12:14PM

Don September 05, 2003 09:02PM