AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Don
September 05, 2003 09:02PM
The difference I had noticed was actually in the stats for the individual conditions, not in the pairwise contrasts. For the pairwise contrasts I have used the -paired flag, and yes the stats are identical to the 3dANOVA2 stats (when there are only two conditions). But the major difference I found was in the one sample 3dttest for one of the conditions versus the 3dANOVA2 amean t-stat for the same condition.

This is beginning to make some sense to me now (although it is still cloudy), in that the additional information -- knowing that the two different conditions were measured in the same subjects -- gives greater statistical power, even when we only want to know about one of the conditions. And adding more conditions, going from 2 to 6 but maintaining the number of subjects, seems to improve the significance further (not a huge amount, but noticeable).

I had another thought about anova. Why not treat each voxel as fixed levels of a third factor in a three way anova? That way you can take into account the inter-voxel variance, inter-condition variance, and inter-subject variance. Doing the statistical tests separately on each voxel seems to disregard the information we have about how noisy a single subjects data is. Some subjects will have better signal to noise but the test can't take that into account unless you measure the inter-voxel variance. So is there some reason why this would be wrong to do? Or would it just be impractical and computationally exhaustive?
Subject Author Posted

3danova2 vs. 3dttest

Don September 02, 2003 07:56PM

Re: 3danova2 vs. 3dttest

yanqiong September 03, 2003 09:55AM

Don September 03, 2003 05:25PM

yanqiong September 04, 2003 12:14PM

Don September 05, 2003 09:02PM