AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 19, 2006 08:52AM
AFNI gods,
I have been trying to play with "raw" timeseries data recently. The goal (after preprocessing and run concatenation) is to use AFNI to remove the trends in the data (on a run-by-run basis), average these raw data within an ROI, and then import the resulting 1D file into MATLAB for further analysis. I saw Doug Ward's post from a few years ago (http://afni.nimh.nih.gov/afni/community/board/read.php?f=1&i=122&t=122#reply_122) in which he argues that the order of steps should not matter (whether detrending before averaging or vice versa). However, there seem to be (at least) two ways to accomplish the detrending (both of which are giving me troubles):

1) Using 3dDeconvolve before averaging over the ROIs with commands like:

3dDeconvolve -mask Subj_ROIs+orig -input Subj_allruns+orig \
-fdisp 123456 -concat cat1.txt -polort 2 -num_stimts 0 \
-errts Subj_allruns_detrend
3dmaskave -mask Subj_ROIs+orig -mrange 1 1 -quiet Subj_allruns_detrend+orig > Subj_ROIave_detrend.1D

When I do this, AFNI barfs on me with following message:
++ Program 3dDeconvolve: AFNI version=AFNI_2006_03_21_1314 [32-bit]
++ Authored by: B. Douglas Ward, et al.
Killed

This may be because the file 'Subj_allruns+orig' is large (~1 GB), which is why I am using a mask. However, when I use this same dataset in a standard 3dDeconvolve multiple regression analysis (i.e. with more than 0 num_stimts and a glt), I have no problems. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

2) Using 3dDetrend after averaging over the ROI's with commands like:

3dmaskave -mask Subj_ROIs+orig -mrange 1 1 -quiet Subj allruns+orig > Subj_ROIave.1D
3dDetrend -polort 2 -prefix Subj_ROIave_detrend Subj_ROIave.1D

When I run this, I get the following error message:
++ Program 3dDetrend: AFNI version=AFNI_2006_03_21_1314 [32-bit]
*** Illegal inputs to startup_lsqfit
** FATAL ERROR: Choleski factorization fails: linearly dependent vectors!

I'm not sure what to make of this error. However, I realize the 3dDetrend doesn't know about my concatenation. I assume that it can't take a -cat option (like 3dDeconvolve), so if/when it does work, it will be removing trends from the entire file (rather than on a run-by-run basis). Any thoughts?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Subject Author Posted

detrending and ROIs

Adam Greenberg May 19, 2006 08:52AM

Re: detrending and ROIs

rick reynolds May 19, 2006 09:09AM

Adam Greenberg May 19, 2006 01:31PM

rick reynolds May 19, 2006 01:52PM