AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 11, 2008 12:40PM
I've read the documentation linked to in the previous post, but I'm still unclear on a couple of things.

1.) Is it correct to say that the first of the two response models that 3dD outputs when using -stim_times_AM2 represents the average effect of a stimulus class, with the effect of the modulating variable (e.g., reaction time) removed? Or is the first response model the average effect of the stimulus class with the effect of the modulating variable present?

It seems pretty clear from the documentation that the second response model output by 3dD when using stim_times_AM2 represents the average effect of the modulating variable. Is that right?

2.) The data I'm looking at is from a decision making study in which the subject's response partially determines the stimulus class. As a result, I end up with empty stimulus classes for some subjects. So, when I run 3dD with -stim_times_AM2, it outputs all zeros for any regressor for which there are no instances of that stimulus class for a given subject. That's exactly as expected, and I can deal with this using -allzero_OK along with -GOFORIT.

However, when a given stimulus class contains only one instance (i.e., when a given stimulus class occurred only once in the course of the experiment), 3dD outputs all zeros for the second AM2 response model but not for the first. Putting aside for a moment the question of whether one would want to use a stimulus class that contains only one instance (perhaps not), is this normal behavior?

Subject Author Posted

regressors of no interest in 3dD

Joe Paxton July 17, 2008 11:07AM

Re: regressors of no interest in 3dD

Gang Chen July 17, 2008 04:34PM

Joe Paxton July 18, 2008 10:00AM

Gang Chen July 18, 2008 04:54PM

Joe Paxton July 18, 2008 06:08PM