AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Giuseppe Pagnoni
October 21, 2009 01:23PM
Hi Rick,

thanks a lot for your quick reply. Pardon me for being somewhat thick here, but let me elaborate a bit further. If I had understood how AlphaSim works, we are basically generating a 3D random gaussian field with a certain kernel size (FWHM), thresholding it according to the specified single-voxel probability threshold, and looking at the distribution of the sizes of clusters of connected suprathreshold voxels, generated by repeating the process many times.

Now, I would think that these simulated datasets represent the data under the null hypothesis, right? We are trying to find a combination of single-voxel p-threshold and cluster size such that it is quite unlikely to find clusters that survive this combined threshold in a dataset representing the null hypothesis.

A critical aspect in generating the null hypothesis dataset for the purpose of estimating the cluster distribution is of course the degree of spatial correlation we would expect if the data that *entered* our statistical test contained only noise. But what is this noise in a group-level analysis (e.g., our group t-test) and how can we estimate it? It seems to me that it would correspond to the subject-to-subject variance vis-a-vis the effect of interest, i.e., the random (subject) effect, rather than to the residuals of an individual GLM analysis.

In other words, I would think that the null hypothesis dataset *should* be tied to the particular test seeking to disprove that null hypothesis, and that therefore the spatial correlation should be estimated on the residuals of the input images (individual contrast images) that enter the group statistical test.

I am obviously not sure that this line of reasoning is correct either (and I guess you already suggested that it is not.. smiling smiley but I just wanted to double check in case I didn't explain myself well enough in the first mail.

thanks again

g.
Subject Author Posted

AlphaSim and group t-test: which smoothness?

Giuseppe Pagnoni October 21, 2009 06:21AM

Re: AlphaSim and group t-test: which smoothness?

rick reynolds October 21, 2009 09:28AM

Giuseppe Pagnoni October 21, 2009 01:23PM

rick reynolds October 21, 2009 05:54PM

Giuseppe Pagnoni October 22, 2009 02:28AM

giuseppe pagnoni December 01, 2009 02:38AM

rick reynolds December 01, 2009 10:35AM