AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Giuseppe Pagnoni
October 21, 2009 06:21AM
Dear all,

I remember quite some time ago that for group analysis (e.g., t-test on individually estimated contrast images) it was advised to compute the smoothness to feed to AlphaSim on the standard error dataset for the same group analysis, which could be obtained by:

3dcalc -a 'group.ttest+orig[0]' -b 'group.ttest+orig[1]' \
-expr 'a/b' -prefix group.sterr

I saw recently on Gang's page that now the suggested procedure is to estimate the smoothness on the residual time series dataset from the individual analyses and then average those together to get just one smoothness triplet.

Today in trying to explain this to a grad student, I got quite confused myself and realized I have now two fresh doubts:

1) Is it appropriate to use the smoothness of the GLM residuals at the *individual level* to generate a null-hypothesis cluster distribution for the *group analysis* of a *specific contrast*?

2) Wouldn't it be more correct to actually proceed in the following way:
- let's call C1,...,Cn the individual contrast images that enter the group t-test (subject=1,...,n).
- <C> is the group mean of the contrast images (the 'coeff' subbrik computed by 3dttest)
- compute the residual image for each subject:
Ri = Ci - <C>, for i=1,...,n
- Estimate the smoothness of each Ri => FWHM_i
- Average all the FWHM_i to get the smoothness value to feed to AlphaSim

Any comments?

thanks in advance!

g.
Subject Author Posted

AlphaSim and group t-test: which smoothness?

Giuseppe Pagnoni October 21, 2009 06:21AM

Re: AlphaSim and group t-test: which smoothness?

rick reynolds October 21, 2009 09:28AM

Giuseppe Pagnoni October 21, 2009 01:23PM

rick reynolds October 21, 2009 05:54PM

Giuseppe Pagnoni October 22, 2009 02:28AM

giuseppe pagnoni December 01, 2009 02:38AM

rick reynolds December 01, 2009 10:35AM