AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
December 07, 2009 02:06PM
Hello AFNI experts,

I'm using Matlab to analyze data on the surface, and would like to view the results in SUMA. So far, I'm reading and writing .1D and that works fine; however this fileformat seems 'dumb', in the sense that no meta-information about the data is stored (column labels, information about stats), which becomes confusing for me when dealing with more than seven plus or minus two columns.

Playing around with 3dVol2Surf, I found that the .niml files *do* store this information (COLMS_LABS,COLMS_TYPE,COLMS_STATSYM,HISTORY_NOTE,etc). And AFNI_NIML_TEXT_DATA=YES sets the output format to easily readable ASCII for both data and meta-information. Based on this I concluded that saving my data as .niml files is the way forward.

Before I start and try to implement matlab functions for reading and writing niml files, I would like to ask
- is it correct that .1D files do not support meta-information that SUMA can display?
- is there currently any matlab support for reading/writing niml files that I have missed?
- if not, is there a specification of the niml format that goes beyond [1] and specifies which meta-information fields exist and their meaning (similar to [2] about the .HEAD file)? This may not be crucial, but it may come in handy.

Other question: is there any way that suma can display more than one column of column labels when there are many, similar to afni? My screen is to small to show 70 labels.

thanks a lot,

Nick

[1] [afni.nimh.nih.gov]
[2] [afni.nimh.nih.gov]

Subject Author Posted

Reading and writing niml files in matlab?

Nick December 07, 2009 02:06PM

Re: Reading and writing niml files in matlab?

ziad December 07, 2009 04:29PM

Nick December 08, 2009 11:31AM

ziad December 09, 2009 05:33PM

Nick December 10, 2009 07:48PM

ziad December 11, 2009 08:50AM

Nick December 11, 2009 09:56AM

experimental support for reading and writing niml files

Nick December 14, 2009 05:14PM

experimental support for reading and writing niml files in matlab toolbox

Nick January 05, 2010 11:13AM