AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
ziad
December 07, 2009 04:29PM
Hi Nick,

You are correct, 1D is no good for header info preservation. To preserve header information, NIML is the way to go. But unfortunately there is no matlab API for it. Parsing a niml element is relatively simple, look at function afni_nel_parse.m for an example. Also, one could as you suggest relatively easily write ASCII NIML format but it would be a hack and if the library changes your matlab version might break. The best way would be to write a MATLAB API that uses AFNI's minl C-library directly. But I am not sure how much work that would be.

The advantage of a NIML API is that you can use it to communicate with AFNI and SUMA. That is why afni_nel_parse was written; to communicate with SUMA. But if all you want is I/O, then perhaps you should use GIFTI ( [www.nitrc.org] ). THe surface-based NIFTI equivalent. GIFTI will be supported by a decent number of surface-based software (Caret, BrainVoyager, FreeSurfer, BrainVisa, AFNI/SUMA etc.).

Guillaume Flandin has generously written a matlab API for I/O of geometry (surfaces) files. Perhaps your effort would be most fruitful in expanding it to deal with data on the surfaces. This expansion should be relatively simple, as the mechanisms for parsing and encoding are already there. I suspect this route would be best for everyone.
[www.artefact.tk]

As you probably know, I will be at Princeton Jan. 27 until Jan. 29. If you like we can discuss this at length there.

cheers,
ziad
Subject Author Posted

Reading and writing niml files in matlab?

Nick December 07, 2009 02:06PM

Re: Reading and writing niml files in matlab?

ziad December 07, 2009 04:29PM

Nick December 08, 2009 11:31AM

ziad December 09, 2009 05:33PM

Nick December 10, 2009 07:48PM

ziad December 11, 2009 08:50AM

Nick December 11, 2009 09:56AM

experimental support for reading and writing niml files

Nick December 14, 2009 05:14PM

experimental support for reading and writing niml files in matlab toolbox

Nick January 05, 2010 11:13AM