AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 31, 2012 09:36AM
Hi Panda,

> (1) Which is the correct way when I want to get the areas which is modulated
> by the semantic distance? AM1 OR AM2? What's the difference between the
> modulated areas we got from AM1 and AM2?

If you want to find out the brain regions whose modulation effects are associated with the semantic distance, AM2 is what you looking for. More specifically, it's the second regressor from each AM2 that indicates the modulation effect.

The difference between AM1 and AM2 is subtle. With AM1 you assume a standard response magnitude that corresponds to one unit of the semantic distance. In the end you would only get ONE effect estimate that corresponds to one unit measure of your modulation parameter (semantic distance).

With AM2 you model the response of each condition with TWO effects: the first one shows the brain response that corresponds to the AVERAGE semantic distance of all trials for that subject, and the second effect reflects the modulation of the semantic distance in percent signal change per unit of semantic distance.

> (2) Should we aplly the same thresold to the modulated areas from AM2? In my
> case, when I apply the same threshold as the activation map to the modulated
> areas from AM2, no cluster will survive.

Individual subject or group level? You should adopt the same thresholding, although the significance may depend on the power of the experiment design. Also you should pay more attention to the group analysis results because that's what matters in the end.

> (3) something I'd like to confirm: when doing group analysis after apllying AM1
> or AM2 to individual subject, is it just the same as usual? I mean, we just need
> to apply 3dttest++ to test the significant of the modulated or unmodulated areas?

For AM1 or for the modulation effect (2nd effect) of AM2, the group analysis should be pretty straightforward.

For the average effect (1st effect) of AM2, you may consider to use the AVERAGE semantic distance from each subject as a covariate in your group analysis because the average semantic distance could vary a lot from subject to subject.

Gang

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2012 01:28PM by Gang.
Subject Author Posted

item-level covriate

JY June 08, 2012 11:47AM

Re: item-level covriate

gang June 08, 2012 04:18PM

JY June 11, 2012 05:54PM

gang June 11, 2012 06:06PM

JY June 13, 2012 06:09PM