AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 09, 2020 09:12AM
This looks mostly pretty reasonable. I will add a few comments about some of the steps.

1. Averaging is everyone's, including mine, first instinct as a base. This works well for very well-behaved subjects, but it's not terribly robust to motion. We generally will recommend a minimum outlier volume or sub-bricks 0 or 1 for difficult cases. A reliable individual sub-bricks generally works better, but if you have a very still subject, then averaging is fine.
2. We do have B0 correction software now - epi_b0_correct.py.
4. Nonlinear warp of EPI to anat. So I think this is a good idea, and one that has been on my list of things to try for quite some time in combination particularly with the similar blip-up/down correction. DR.BUDDI in the Tortoise package also does this. This would be limited to a single, specified EPI sub-brick volume and using a limited range of distortion, as you said.
5. Concatenating is possible with 3dNwarpApply. See unWarpEPI.py for an example of how something similar was done with blip-up/down. Going to standard space adds more transformations.

Adding -nopenalty or specifying a small penalty with -penfac with 3dQwarp will allow more distortion, but it might not be enough. I'm surprised you would get that much distortion between EPI and anat though; I would expect only relatively small amounts left, especially after the B0 correction. The initial levels will allow larger displacements. Include -workhard too. Separating the analysis into two sections - cerebrum, and then cerebellum and brainstem might work better.
Subject Author Posted

nonlinear warping epi to anat

Simone Cauzzo April 07, 2020 05:07PM

Re: nonlinear warping epi to anat

Daniel Glen April 08, 2020 04:52PM

Simone Cauzzo April 08, 2020 06:45PM

Daniel Glen April 09, 2020 09:12AM

Simone Cauzzo April 09, 2020 05:12PM