AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 22, 2009 10:45AM
To follow up on my previous question, can it be that the obliquety causes this problem?

And to ask a more general question: how can I transform freesurfer surfaces to the original EPI space?. For some reason I do not get the surface in the original space; it's slightly off (in a similar way as the nifti files).

In short, I took the following steps:
1) align anatomical (anat+orig) to epi using align_epi_anat.py, resulting in anat_al+orig
2) convert anat_al+orig to .nii and then to .mgh, then do surface reconstruction and do suma file conversion.
3) run 3dAllineate with anat_al+orig and the SurfVol+orig and save the affine transformation matrix
4) apply the transformation matrix to the original surface (.e.g lh.pial.asc) with ConvertSurface -xmat, resulting in lh.pial_lh.asc.

The original surface and SurfVol are perfectly aligned, but the aligned surface (lh.pial_lh.asc) and volume (anat_al+orig) are not aligned. I thought that maybe the ALLINEATE_MATVEC_{B2S,S2B}_000000 matrices are responsible, thus tried to remove these and incorporate it in IJK_TO_DICOM_REAL, using:

anatin="anat_al"
anatout="${anatin}_nob2s"
cat_matvec ${anatin}+orig::ALLINEATE_MATVEC_B2S_000000 ${anatin}+orig::IJK_TO_DICOM_REAL >al_ijk2d.aff12.1D
rm ${anatout}+orig.????
3dcopy -overwrite ${anatin}+orig $anatout
id="1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0"
transform=`cat al_ijk2d.aff12.1D`
3drefit -atrfloat IJK_TO_DICOM_REAL "${transform}" -atrfloat ALLINEATE_MATVEC_B2S_000000 "${id}" -atrfloat ALLINEATE_MATVEC_S2B_000000 "${id}" ${anatout}+orig

which causes the anat_al_nob2s file and anat_al to perfectly overlap; however, applying step 3 using anat_al_nob2s does not work for the surfaces either. Any ideas what transformation to apply to the freesurfer surface files to align them with the original EPIs?

any help would be highly appreciated!

Nick
Subject Author Posted

3dAFNItoNIFTI: small misalignment

Nick Oosterhof June 21, 2009 01:19PM

follow-up: question about surface transformations

Nick Oosterhof June 22, 2009 10:45AM

Re: follow-up: question about surface transformations

rick reynolds June 22, 2009 12:13PM

Nick Oosterhof June 22, 2009 12:31PM